The Gold Souk


This is gold paradise. It is a traditional market at the heart of Deira where you can buy really cheap gold by negotiating prices. Diamonds, platinum, white gold, emeralds, rubies and more, it's fun to test one's haggling skills here.  Gold is sold by carat and weight. For serious buyers and traders, they monitor gold prices daily. You will also find electronic signs displaying the UAE daily gold rate.


There are over 300 shops in Gold Souk within the maze-like streets of Deira. Considered to be one of the cheapest places to buy gold in the world, it is definitely a must-see stop for every tourist. Government of Dubai is strict in ensuring what you buy here is genuine.

Check out the size of these necklaces. Can you hold your head up with the weight of that?
Gold everywhere!
 How to get there?


                                       View Larger Map

If you're coming from Bur Dubai side, you can take the Abra Boat to cross the creek at AED 1.00 one way per person.

A scenic walk from Union Metro Station headed towards the creek and stroll along the creek side. It's a long walk, but an enjoyable one during the cold season. Explore the busy market streets of Naif until you find the gateway to Gold Souk.

Gold souk is walking distance from Spice Souk .

A great place to purchase engagement rings and wedding bands

A True Story

Yohann proposed to me during his first visit in Dubai right before having dessert inside Chili's (Yes, the same popular Tex-Mex restaurant chain that we have both come to love). He casually asked, "Will you marry me?" moments after the chocolate molten lava cake was placed on our table. (No, the ring wasn't in it.) After saying yes, my ever-practical husband briefly mentioned that he didn't know my size and which ring to get, so off we went to Gold Souk for the ring the next day.

Searching for that perfect solitary diamond ring in 300 jewelry shops was like finding needle in a haystack. It was quite an adventure hunting for the right size and shape.

Amused, I watched him negotiate  prices with the shop salesman from the window when I stepped outside to give him privacy. Later, he came out of the store with a big smile on his face, holding the ring box to me carrying a ring that we both selected.  I suppose, Gold Souk will always be a part of our story especially having purchased our wedding rings here years later as well.

Is this a place you'd like to visit?
Are you fond of jewelry and gold?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Everyday in May Challenge
Day 3:  My Favorite Quote


You might have already seen this in a previous post. This quote is from the book, The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma  that I am still reading. It stirs up something in me. If we are fighting for something, a goal that would benefit others, it will elevate our senses that will allow us to push against boundaries and overcome obstacles. 

I need this. 

In this new chapter in my life, I feel I am in a lack of purpose, hence the lack of inspiration and the lack of motivation. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing next. The biggest question- what do I want to do? keeps me occupied most days. The only place I've ever felt this motivation again was when I came back to the Philippines, ironically a place I dread going back to, but will most likely become our next home.

Life has a way of humorously bringing us to what we're scared of the most.  
The greatest thing we could ever do is laugh along with it.

Have a great weekend!

Love & light,
Arni

{ P.S. Story of My Life Blog Everyday in May Challenge }

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Wow!! All that gold is amazing!! Great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never seen so much gold in my life- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Arni! that's really a gold paradise!!! there are so many choices and tons of gold ;)

    I love reading Robin Sharma. I enjoyed the saint, the surfer and the ceo... really interesting book!!!

    take care and have a lovely weekend!!!
    xoxo,Meg of Sweet Gala's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through the Blog Every Day in May Challenge.

    Thanks for sharing that quote. I, too, understand the lack of inspiration and direction and motivation! When you crave a purpose but it seems to be just out of your reach. I also believe that life has a way of bringing us face to face with that which scares us... maybe it's why that thing scares us! Thanks for sharing and now that quote has me wondering about the book!

    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I don’t think I would be able to contain my excitement if I visited a gold souk! And I loved the story about Yohann picking your ring!

    And once again, you have given me another book to add to my growing reading list!

    ReplyDelete